Monday, March 25, 2024

Upcoming Books: A Dark And Endless Sea, by Blaine Daigle

A Dark and Endless Sea, by Blaine Daigle 



Publication Date: June 7th, 2024
ARC by Net Galley

Keywords: dark, thriller, psychological horror, sea, storm, amnesia, sea shanties, fishing, mystery, Cthulhian.


What a ride! It's a mostly psychological horror story with some violence on the side, that reminds me a bit of a Cthulhian tale. Following the main character in his descent into madness, you join him on a journey through the horrors of stormy seas, as well as those within his own fragmented mind. I just had some issues with the ending: I didn't dislike it, but I felt there were some holes in it. I want to keep this review spoiler free so I won't go into detail. I think it could either have gone in another direction (there were so many possibilities!) or it could have been done a bit better, so it made more sense and felt right.
But, it wasn't a bad ending. I wasn't disappointed. I still very much enjoyed the book. Not only is it still worth reading but I'll probably read it again at some point. So please, don't be put off by my opinion of the end: read it yourself and form your own opinion. Even if you end up agreeing with me, I still had fun figuring out all the ways the pieces fitted together and imagining what other possibilities might have worked. It's a haunting book either way, perfect for any fans of thrillers, horrors, tales of the sea and, well, Cthulhu. 

No comments:

Post a Comment